The News has thousands of photographs, in addition to (obviously) news clippings and 100+ years of newspapers, but someone researching Northfield history wouldn't necessarily think to look there for photographs. A central, online database of local history resources helps researchers to know what they have.
(Side note: One other feature you'll be seeing more of at the Collaborative is surveys and summaries of the collections of our partners. Here, you can check out a survey of the items held at the Northfield News.)
If you enjoy seeing scenes from old Northfield, it's well worth the time to browse through this collection. They have so many fascinating images that I really don't know where to start in highlighting them for you. I managed to narrow it down to my top 15, in no particular order.
1. Greenvale Park Elementary School under construction (aerial view)
2. Northfield High School post-construction (aerial view) - notice that this is before the D and M wings, and before the District Office
3. Northfield Retirement Center under construction (aerial view)
4. United Methodist Church under construction (aerial view) - notice the sparse homes looking to the north
5. South side of Bridge Square before the Post Office - the Scriver Building is just out of view at left
Find the other 10 here at our blog!
- Ariel Emery Butler is project coordinator for the Northfield History Collaborative.