If a South Metro resident received a phone call concerning Minnesota’s proposed marriage constitutional amendment this past weekend, that call probably originated in Northfield.
On Nov. 6, Minnesotans will vote on a proposed constitutional amendment that would define marriage as between a man and a woman, which would limit marriage to opposite sex couples.
Minnesotans United is the official campaign opposed to the proposed amendment.
Phonathon organizers said early Saturday afternoon that volunteers were on pace to make more than 3,000 calls to registered voters in Rice, Dakota, Scott and Goodhue counties before the event ended at 4 p.m. Volunteers hoped to discuss the amendment and its potential ramifications with at least 300 of those voters.
Roughly 60 volunteers—with cell phones, caller lists and scripts in hand—made calls from the basement of the Union Street church. Most of those volunteers were making calls for Minnesota United for the first time.
Before being permitted to make calls, first-time volunteers attended an orientation in First UCC’s sanctuary. Those receiving instructions could be seen practicing their scripts while seated in the pews.
First UCC—which has expressed its opposition to the marriage amendment by placing an orange Minnesotans United sign in its front lawn and affixing a black-and-red “Vote No” sign to the front of the church—is no stranger to hosting calling events for amendment opponents. Since May, volunteers have made calls from the church every Tuesday and Sunday. Typically, about 20 volunteers make calls during each of those sessions.
While those twice-weekly calling sessions are expected to continue until Election Day, Minnesotans United is scheduled to conduct another phonathon later this month at Carleton College.
More marriage amendment posts on Northfield Patch
- Northfield City Council Passes Resolution Opposing Minnesota Marriage Amendment
- Carleton College Faculty Opposes Minnesota Marriage Amendment
- Marriage Amendment: Should the Northfield City Council Oppose It?
- St. Olaf Faculty Opposes Minnesota Marriage Amendment
- Carleton Responds to Petition to Oppose Marriage Amendment
- Alumni Petition Carleton College to Oppose Marriage Amendment
- Minnesota Companies that Oppose the Marriage Amendment
- Minnesota Companies that Support the Marriage Amendment
- Just Food Co-op Signs as Coalition Partner with Minnesotans United for All Families
- POLL: Do You Approve Of The Marriage Amendment's Ballot Title?
- Why I Am Voting Yes for the Minnesota Marriage Amendment
- A Legacy—A Poem Opposing the Minnesota Marriage Amendment
- The Soul of the Thing
- One Reason I Oppose the Marriage Amendment: The Children
- For the Sake of Minnesota's Constitution—JUST VOTE NO!
- VIDEO: Rice County Group Launches Campaign Against MarriageAmendment
- PHOTOS: Rice County Group Launches Campaign Against Marriage Amendment