District Hosting Public Meetings to Discuss iPads, School Calendar, Eagle Bluff Trip
A series of community meetings will be held to get feedback on big three topics facing the Northfield Public Schools Board of Education.
Editor's note: The following comes from Northfield Public Schools.
The Northfield Public Schools will be hosting a series of public meetings during January and February in an effort to gather community feedback regarding three important decisions coming before the Board of Education. The issues are:
1. Transformational Technology: The Board will be considering a proposal that would implement iPad tablet computers for students in the District. The first two meetings (January 5th and 7th) will focus on the findings and recommendations coming forward from a several task forces. These meetings will involve a short presentation and small group discussion that will help shape the final proposal. The final meetings regarding transformational technology will be held on February 2nd and 4th. These meetings will be an opportunity for the community to provide feedback on a proposal shared with the Board on January 28. The Board is scheduled to vote on the final proposal at the February 11 Board meeting. You can read more about the transformational technology project at http://northfieldtechtransformation.blogspot.com/.
2. Modified Balanced Calendar: The District is considering a modification to the start and end dates of the academic year calendar. The concept includes beginning the school year in Mid-August; having a full week break in October during the same week where the two-day Education Minnesota break already falls; the first semester ending just prior to a two week Winter break; a Spring Break that aligns with both Carleton and St. Olaf's breaks; and ending the school year in Mid-May. After hearing an additional presentation on calendar details at the January 14th Board meeting, the Board will be asked to vote on submitting an application to the Commissioner of Minnesota's Department of Education at the January 28th Board meeting. Final action on any balanced calendar proposal will only occur after the application is reviewed by the Commissioner. You can find out more about the balanced calendar through the Northfield Patch "Sit Down with the Superintendent" segment athttp://northfield.patch.com/articles/could-school-start-in-mid-august-district-exploring-calendar-changes.
3. ELC trip: The District is considering modifying the annual Middle School Eagle Bluff field trip due to increased 7th grade class size, student attendance trends, and staff availability. The Board will hear a second presentation on January 14th followed by a vote on the proposed modification at that meeting. You can learn more about this issue through the Northfield Patch "Sit Down with the Superintendent" segment at http://northfield.patch.com/articles/middle-school-trip-to-eagle-bluff-could-see-changes-68eb2208#video-12639102.
The meeting schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, January 5th - 10:00 am to 12:00 pm in Middle School Media Center - Transformational Technology Concepts
- Monday, January 7th - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in Middle School Media Center -Transformational Technology Concepts
- Thursday, January 10th - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in Middle School Auditorium/Cafeteria - Eagle Bluff Environment Program Alternatives
- Tuesday, January 15th - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in High School Upper Cafeteria - Modified Balanced Calendar Options
- Thursday, January 17th - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in High School Upper Cafeteria - Modified Balanced Calendar Options
- Tuesday, January 22nd - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in High School Upper Cafeteria - Modified Balanced Calendar Options
- Saturday, February 2nd - 10:00 am to 12:00 pm in High School Auditorium -Transformational Technology Proposal
- Monday, February 4th - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in High School Auditorium -Transformational Technology Proposal